A kimono-style bathrobe is the perfect stylish yet comfortable loungewear option. This loose-fitting robe wraps around the body and ties at the waist for a clean, elegant look. Lately, bamboo fabric has become a top choice for kimono robes due to its softness, breathability, and absorbency.
Bamboo fabric used for bathrobes is usually either bamboo viscose/rayon or a bamboo viscose blend. Bamboo viscose has a silky smooth feel, while blended versions are more durable and easy to care for. Both offer the many benefits of bamboo – sustainability, moisture-wicking, and hypoallergenic properties.
In this comprehensive guide, we will go over the advantages of bamboo kimono robes, factors to look for when shopping, and the top five robes on the market. Read on for everything you need to know to find your perfect bamboo fabric bathrobe!
Benefits of Bamboo Fabric Kimono Bathrobes
Bamboo fabric has quickly become a favorite for bathrobes due to its multitude of benefits:
Very Soft, Luxurious Feel
The bamboo plant has naturally smooth, round fibers that feel silky soft against the skin without the use of chemical treatments. Bamboo viscose in particular has an ultra-soft drape that provides a luxurious sensation when worn.
Highly Breathable and Moisture-Wicking
Unlike cotton, bamboo fabric has micro-gaps and ventilation that allow it to absorb and evaporate moisture quickly. This makes it ideal for wearing after a shower or bath, as it keeps you cool and dry rather than damp.
Absorbent and Quick-Drying
Related to its breathability, bamboo fabric is highly absorbent, absorbing several times more moisture than cotton. It also dries faster, meaning it won’t stay wet against your skin.
Durable and Long-Lasting
The bamboo plant has strong, durable fibers that make bamboo fabric resistant to pilling. Robes maintain their soft, smooth appearance even after repeated washing.
Sustainable and Eco-Friendly
Bamboo is one of the most sustainable fabrics, as it grows rapidly without pesticides and requires less water to produce than cotton. Bamboo viscose production also uses non-toxic dissolving agents.
Natural bamboo fibers have antibacterial agents that reduce odor and bacteria growth. This makes it ideal for sensitive skin.
**Available in Diverse Styles **
While traditional cotton robes come in limited colors, bamboo fabric robes are available in solids, prints, plush textures, waffle weaves, and more!
Factors to Consider When Buying a Bamboo Kimono Bathrobe
With so many options on the market, here are key factors to consider when shopping for a bamboo kimono robe:
- Type of Bamboo Fabric
- 100% Bamboo Viscose: Very soft but prone to shrinking. Usually dry clean only.
- Bamboo Viscose Blend: More durable and easy care but moderately less soft. Common blends are cotton and microfiber.
- Choose heavyweight for winter warmth. Lightweight is better for summer.
- Reinforced seams, inner tie loops, tightly-woven fabric that won’t gap. Indicators of good quality.
- Designed to loosely wrap body. Check size chart and consider height and weight.
- Mid-calf vs. ankle length. Longer provides more coverage.
- Tie, snap closure, cloth or sash belt. Tie offers most adjustability.
- Optional hood for extra coziness and head coverage.
- Side seam pockets add convenience and visual interest.
- Machine washable is ideal for easy home care.
The Top 5 Bamboo Kimono Bathrobes
After extensive research, we picked the top five bamboo fabric kimono robes on the market:
1. TexereSilk 100% Bamboo Kimono Robe
- Made of 100% bamboo viscose
- Mid-calf length with relaxed, kimono sleeves
- Oversized fit with wide, overlap front
- Inner ties, side pockets, and shawl collar
- $99 USD
- Pros: Extremely soft, lightweight material. Gorgeous drape.
- Cons: Dry clean recommended. Prone to shrinking.
2. Cozy Earth Bamboo Viscose and Cotton Blend Robe
- Made of 70% bamboo viscose and 30% cotton
- Ankle length wrap robe with hood
- Self-belt and side seam pockets
- Machine washable
- $129 USD
- Pros: Durable cotton blend. Easy to care for. Ultra soft.
- Cons: More expensive than 100% bamboo robes.
3. Ekouaer Bamboo Viscose and Microfiber Robe
- Made of 95% bamboo viscose and 5% microfiber
- Mid-calf length with snap front closure
- Removable sash belt and two side pockets
- $59 USD
- Pros: Budget-friendly. Soft microfiber blend. Six colors available.
- Cons: Pills with frequent washing. Not as lush as higher-end options.
4. TowelSelections 100% Bamboo Robe
- Made of 100% bamboo viscose
- Long ankle length robe with shawl collar
- Self-tie belt, two pockets, and 3/4 sleeves
- Machine wash gentle cycle, tumble dry low
- $79 USD
- Pros: Soft drape. Generous sizing. Good eco-friendly choice.
- Cons: Prone to shrinkage. Dry clean recommended.
5. Alexander Del Rossa Short Woven Chenille Bamboo Robe
- Made of bamboo viscose and cotton chenille
- Short above-knee length
- Front snap closure and removable waist tie
- $49 USD
- Pros: Ultra soft chenille weave. Lightweight. Great price.
- Cons: Runs small. Delicate fabric prone to pills.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bamboo Bathrobes
Here are answers to some of the most common questions about bamboo fabric kimono robes:
How much do bamboo kimono robes usually cost?
- Prices range widely from $50 to $200+ depending on materials and quality. 100% bamboo viscose is pricier than blends.
Are bamboo robes better than cotton?
- Yes, bamboo fabric is more sustainable, softer, more absorbent, and dries faster than cotton. However, cotton blends are more durable.
How do you wash a bamboo robe?
- Check label – machine wash gentle cycle in cold water or hand wash. Tumble dry low or hang to dry. Avoid high heat.
Can you put a bamboo robe in the dryer?
- Occasional low heat dryer use is ok, but air drying is best to avoid shrinkage issues.
Do bamboo robes shrink?
- 100% bamboo viscose shrinks easily. Look for pre-shrunk fabric or cotton/microfiber blends that are less likely to shrink.
How long do bamboo robes last?
- With proper care, expect 2-5 years of use. Higher priced robes made of thicker bamboo fabric will be most durable.
Are bamboo robes warm enough for winter?
- Yes, but not as warm as cotton flannel, wool, or fleece. Pick a thicker, heavyweight robe for maximum warmth.
What’s the difference between a bamboo vs silk robe?
- Bamboo is more durable, sustainable, wrinkle-resistant, and absorbent than silk. Silk has a more luxurious drape.
Can men wear a kimono style robe?
- Yes, kimono robes are a stylish unisex wardrobe staple perfect for anyone!
What size bamboo robe should I get?
- Check size chart and order one size up for an oversized fit as they are designed to loosely wrap the body.
Bamboo fabric kimono-style bathrobes provide the perfect combination of comfort, luxury, and easy care. When shopping, look for quality construction, proper sizing, and your preferred length and fastening. Both lightweight and plush bamboo robes make great additions to your self-care routine. For the most eco-friendly option, look for sustainably produced, fair trade certified bamboo textiles. With the right bamboo fabric kimono robe, you’ll be stylish both before and after your bath!